Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

It is 2:00 am and I can't sleep. Ethan left to go to Jackson Hole with his dad. I hate being home alone because I get so scared. Anyways, it is now the 4th and I started to think about what this day means to me. The first thing that comes to mind is that song "God bless the USA"
I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
As cheesy as it sounds I am so grateful to live in the U.S.A. I think as people we dwell on the negative. Like food prices, gas prices, and the economy. I do it all the time. But when I hear this song it helps me remember how LUCKY I am. Lucky, that I can decide what religion I am, what I want to be, how many kids I can have, who my leaders are, what laws are passed, freedom to say what I want, freedom to dress how I want............I can go on forever. Then, I think about how SO many people have given their lives so I can have those freedoms. It brings tears to my eyes. I have family that have fought for this country and I am so grateful for that. I want to teach my kids that they are blessed to live here. Next time someone says they aren't proud to be American, they can get out!!! Make room for those of us that want to be here! HAPPY 4TH!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Colette Kingsley said...

Shannon,
I want you to know that I am there with you if you get scared and no one is around. You will always be my special baby! Heavenly father loves you and will protect you and help you feel peace.
Thank you for the special 4th of July blog. I am also very grateful for the freedom I have.
Love you, Mom

Chemenn said...

You need to take Zac up to Jackson! He's old enough to raft that river on his own! Cute picture of him holding the flag.

Mrs. Misses said...

Amen, sister! I have been teaching my students about America and reading them books and little stories about why we celebrate what we do and most of the time, I get so teary-eyed! I'm sure it's a lot because my dad and so many of my family served in the military, but mostly I'm so touched by the fact that this land was fore-ordained by God for all of these wonderful freedoms. We are blessed!

Elise and Dan said...

I always hate when Dan goes out of town too. I never sleep well, and I always think I hear things!
Happy 4th. Hope you had fun!

JT said...

Shannon, Well said! You make me feel bad that you get scared when Ethan isn't around. You and Zac can just come and stay with us, Kaleb would think that is the coolest thing ever. I love that picture of Zac, he is so cute!!