Wednesday, August 6, 2008

$50 a week

As EVERYONE knows the economy is hurting. I don't care if your rich..... you still don't like paying $4.15/gal. And with that food has also gone up alot! In an effort to save some money I thought it was time to cut our food bill in half! I started to think about it more when my friend did a poll on her blog and asked everyone how much a week they spent on food. I thought about that and I put in my answer which was $125. One of the answers on the poll was $50 and I thought how does anyone do that with kids!!!!!!! If I was to do that I would have to cut some major things out of our food. I thought we would have to live on nothing but Mac & Cheese. I wasn't willing to sacrifice Zacs eating habits because he eats so healthy. I still thought I would give it a try. I went online and found some coupon websites and I asked Ethan's mom to save the Sunday paper coupons for me. I also planed out the meals I was going to make for the week. That Monday I went to the store so excited, thinking I was going to save tons of money. I end up with Zac screaming to get out of the cart and me walking out of the store spending $70 for the week. I felt so defeated. The next week I tryed it again and I spent $62. I was getting closer but not to my goal yet. This week I did it!!!!!! Exactly $50. I got a ton a great stuff also! Strawberry's, Avocado, Chicken, whole grain bread....all kinds of things. I saved $20 with coupons and sales. A long time ago I bought the reusable bags. It has been so worth it because Smiths gives a 5 cent credit for every bag, every time you use them. Every cent counts! I know some weeks I will have to spend more but that is OK because I'm still saving so much money. Coupons really do work! Hopefully I can keep it up!!!!!!

9 comments:

{Elyse} said...

Shannon, you did it! I told you it could be done...good job!

Kacey said...

Good for you Shannon!!! I didn't know Smith's gave credit for the bags. I've been wanting to get some, sounds like I finally found my motivation. Keep up the good work!!

Carrie said...

That is amazing! I am trying so hard to save on groceries as well. You are my new motivation. :)
I love you new blog look, too.

Kaybee said...

Looks like your trip was lots of fun. Miss you guys! If you think that $4.15 a gallon for gas is bad, come to washington. Between Eddie and I last month we spent $1000 on gas. No Joke! I definitely need to try the $50 a week thing. We're hurting because of the gas prices.

Lisa M said...

I love coupon shopping. It is the greatest free money ever. I have not bought hand soap, or shampoo and conditioner for over a year and a half. In Texas they double and triple coupons, so you can get items for free.

Mike Kingsley said...

Shannon check out the grocery guru. He has a radio show on KSL on Saturday and a website at:

http://www.gurusdeals.com

Anyway with there program some weeks groceries are as low as $30 a week for a family of 4. The guy on the website does all the research for you so that he combines store sales with coupons to get things cheap or even some free.

Each week there is a weekly shopping list. It can be at a different store. Usually it is Smiths or Maceys. Then they have a weekly menu also for you to see what you will eat.

For it to work you need to get the Sunday paper, and even get two copies of the paper so that you get double coupons if you want to save more and have enough for a family of 4. But you can even get by just getting one copy.

It usually works out best to do your shopping on Monday or Tuesday because a lot of store sales go from wed-tuesday, but then coupons come out on Sunday so you can't take full advantage until Mon or Tues.

You might also have to get the groceries for a couple weeks before you notice the menu fully matching up with what you already have in stock.

Elise and Dan said...

Great job Shannon! I'm always trying to save money on goceries, but I've never been able to do it for under 75 dollars! I will have to try again!

Mike Kingsley said...

Here is another one to checkout:

http://grocerysmarts.com/graphics/g84csg.pdf

Marianne said...

Way to go SHannon. I have been trying to do the same thing. What website did you go to. I want to check it out!